Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Update From Cochise County, Arizona

By T.J. Woodard

"I am a volunteer umpire for the local little league. I have 11 seasons behind the mask and am working on number 12. In between innings of a hotly contested ball game my wife ran up to the fence behind home plate and informed me that two men, speaking Spanish, were in the back yard. She had immediately departed from the house and called the Border Patrol. She's a smart one -- I don't need my wife confronting drug traffickers, leave that for me.

Knowing my family was safe and away from the house I went back to work calling balls and strikes. Within a few minutes I could see the Border Patrol helicopter flying over the neighborhood with its searchlight looking for the culprits. It was irritating to watch. This is not supposed to be happening in America.

When the game ended about 45 minutes later I went straight home. Looking like an actor from a very low budget science fiction movie, I put on my hockey style face mask, grabbed my .45, and while still wearing my chin guards and chest protector cleared my own house. I wanted as much protection as I could get in case of a physical fight. I envisioned an illegal alien asking me if I was going to eject him from the game.

Fortunately, nobody was in the house. I had cleared buildings before, but that was in Iraq."

submit to reddit Digg!

No comments: