Thursday, March 4, 2010

"GOP Reps. Want Charges Dropped Against SEALs Accused of Abusing Terror Suspect"

"Two Republican lawmakers are seeking to have charges dropped against three Navy SEALs facing court-martial for accusations of abusing a terror suspect arrested for an ambush killing of U.S. contractors in Iraq.

The SEALs -- Special Warfare Operators 2nd Class Matthew McCabe and Jonathan Keefe and Special Warfare Operator 1st Class Julio Huertas -- were part of a team that in September 2009 captured Ahmed Hashim Abed, the Al Qaeda terrorist behind the murder and mutilation of four Blackwater USA contractors in Fallujah in 2004.

The contractors' bodies were burned and left hanging from a bridge. The image came to symbolize the rise of Al Qaeda in Iraq and the brutality of the enemy Americans face there.

McCabe is accused of punching Abed in the stomach and giving him a bloody lip during the arrest.

Reps. Dan Burton, R-Ind. and Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif. are holding a news conference Thursday with McCabe and more than a dozen retired Navy SEALs and other special forces personnel.

submit to reddit Digg!

3 comments:

Devrie said...

I'm not sure, though, that we are getting the full picture of what happened. Who brought this story into the public? The charges don't seem fully connected to simply punching a bad guy. I may be totally wrong, but I want the facts first.

According to Fox news, the charges are as follows:
Matthew McCabe, a Special Operations Petty Officer Second Class (SO-2), is facing three charges: dereliction of performance of duty for willfully failing to safeguard a detainee, making a false official statement, and assault.

Petty Officer Jonathan Keefe, SO-2, is facing charges of dereliction of performance of duty and making a false official statement.

Petty Officer Julio Huertas, SO-1, faces those same charges and an additional charge of impediment of an investigation
-------

I'm just saying, if they did punch the guy, and that's all, that's one thing, but what if the punch brought to light other things? It's just a thought, though I know people are going to pound me for this. I just honestly want to know more about the story before signing the petition, because I would if I was sure about it.

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.