Sunday, December 27, 2009

Holding the Christ Child

By Peter Johnson, Jr.

"A long time ago a priest friend, Father Judge said, "Come with me this Christmas Eve. I want to show you something.” As I approached a dark building in the rainy shadow of Times Square I was more fearful than excited. -- Midnight mass at a shelter for homeless pregnant women all very much alone in the world except for the nuns who ran their protectorate. As mass began in a small room with a kitchen table as an altar, I wondered what would life hold for them and their babies when no one had room in their lives for them but those nuns. On Christmas Eve, there was no room at the inn except at a converted tenement building on a lonely side street in a neighborhood called "Hells Kitchen.""

more

submit to reddit Digg!

No comments: