Friday, October 17, 2008

What First Amendment?
By Monica Crowley (bio)

In the last presidential debate, Barack Obama took a swipe at Fox News. In an article in this weekend’s New York Times Magazine, Obama takes another swipe:

“I am convinced that if there were no Fox News, I might be two or three points higher in the polls,” he said. “If I were watching Fox News, I wouldn’t vote for me, right? Because the way I’m portrayed 24/7 is as a freak! I am the latte-sipping, New York Times-reading, Volvo-driving, no-gun-owning, effete, politically correct, arrogant liberal.”

Which part of that description isn’t correct, Senator? Maybe the Volvo part.

He went on to say, “Who wants somebody like that?”

Our point, exactly.

“I guess the point I’m making,” (here it comes) “is that there is an entire industry now, an entire apparatus, designed to perpetuate this cultural schism, and it’s powerful. People want to know that you’re fighting for them, that you get them. And I actually think I do. But you know, if people are just seeing me in sound bites, they’re not going to discover that.”

Welcome to modern media, Senator.

So Obama hates Fox News. He’d like to silence Fox News. And conservatives in the media, including talk radio. If he’s elected, with a Democratic supermajority in the Senate and huge majority in the House, they will seek a re-institution of the Fairness Doctrine. So get ready to say goodbye to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and me. Say goodbye to conservative viewpoints represented unfiltered on the airwaves. And say hello to a total squashing of the First Amendment right to free speech. And say hi to America as the Soviet Union, circa 1951.

Watch what you say.

By the way, what Obama fails to mention is that without NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, Time, Newsweek, the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Boston Globe, and the Los Angeles Times doing his cheerleading every day, John McCain would be up by 10 points.

But you’d better watch what you say.

No comments: