Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sister, Can You Spare A Compliment?
By Monica Crowley (bio)


At Tuesday night’s Democratic Convention, Hillary Clinton did what everyone expected her to do, and she endorsed Barack Obama. As her husband mouthed “I love you” (in a gag-me-with-a-spoon moment reminiscent of the 1998 State of the Union address), Hillary encouraged everyone to jump on the Obama bandwagon.

The problem is that Hillary made a policy endorsement, not a personal one.

Nowhere in her “speech of support” was a reference to getting to know Obama, to seeing his wide-ranging intellect and inherent goodness, to his qualifications to be president, to the judgment needed to be commander-in-chief.

Instead, she said something akin to, “Look. He beat me. I still can’t believe it, but he beat me. I hate him for it, but whatever. He’ll lose and I’ll be back. In the meantime, he’s a Democrat, which makes him better than a Republican, so I guess we’d better suck it up and vote for him.”

Tonight, her husband will alight to the podium, all simmering anger and seething resentment. He’ll say (some of) the right things too, but he won’t be happy about it. And then he’ll do what he loves more than anything: he’ll talk about himself.

He’ll also do something else. He’ll take Obama to school. He’ll deliver such a stemwinder that Obama, even with all of his vaunted oratory, won’t be able to match it. Bill is going to show the young whippersnapper how it’s done. “Take THAT, punk.”

Is this Obama’s convention? Sure it is. If you believe in unicorns.

No comments: